Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Plot or Character? Chicken or Egg?


So, here's a question I came across in one of my writing groups: Where do you start? With a plot or with a character?



Chicken or egg?



Heh.  The answer to this depends on if I already have a series. But that's cheating for the purposes of this particular question.



However, if you have a brand spanking new idea?



Step 1: "What's my story?"  EG I have a functional dystopia where people inconvenient people are dumped from the real world into this makeshift hell on Earth.



Step 2: "What do I need?" EG: I need a cross between MacGyver and Chuck Norris.



Step 3: Make character. EG: Kevin Anderson.



For me, story has always come first, especially if you're making a new story.



Heck, for The Pius Trilogy, Sean AP Ryan intruded. Literally. The little bugger wasn't even supposed to be in THAT novel, and decided to just show up.



Step 1: "What's my story?"  EG I'm doing an anti-Da Vinci Code in Rome.



Step 2: "What do I need?" EG: I need the head of Vatican security involved



Step 3: Make character. EG: Giovanni Figlia.



And then Sean steps in out of It was Only On Stun! and takes over.



For me, story has always come first, especially if you're making a new story.




For my short Fear No Evil, I wanted someone who could handle herself. She developed as we went along.



Sometimes, I just take the voices in my head and run with them.



Sometimes, they run with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment