Monday, August 22, 2011

Fighting and Writing, 3: Krav Maga in fiction: Masks

As one of the various and sundry hats I wear, I have, from time to time, given advice about writing fight scenes, "blocking the action," or just plain giving thoughts on how stuff can get done.

Illustration by Nicole Le
Source: PocketCoyote.com
If you've been keeping up with the online novel Masks, the most recent chapter involved using a Krav Maga gun disarm.  Krav Maga wasn't mentioned, but I know it was used ... mainly because I told the author about it, and she said she would use it.

The most obvious reason it's the same technique I told her about .... the broken finger. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, that means you haven't been keeping up with Masks, have you?  Well, if not, I suggest doing so now. It's fun, and it's only on chapter five and ... well, it's free.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about ... now you do.)

Watch the video below ... stolen from Spike TV's Human Weapon.  It's an older Krav Maga technique, where they grab the wrist as part of the gun disarm ... then grab the gun with the other hand, twist it out of the attacker's grip, and pull away.



In this case, this technique works going to the "outside" (as shown in the video above) or the "inside" (which would mean the defender would move more square with the attacker.)

You can find a simplified, written version of the technique here.

When I suggested this to Rebekah at the time, she preferred to go more the route of grabbing both the wrist and the gun, mainly because it fit the character better (The character having been trained in multiple martial arts).

However, one thing that the "inside" gun defense has going for it .... Imagine the average gunman.  Consider where all of his fingers are on the gun.  Middle, ring, and little finger are on the pistol grip; the thumb is either on the grip, or on the hammer of the gun. And where's the index finger?  Still in the finger.

And then imagine the average thug being taken by surprise with an "inside" defense.  Trust me when I tell you, that if the finger is still in the trigger guard, the finger is going to break.

So, as you read through Masks, and you're wondering "nah, this person couldn't possibly do that," the answer is ... yup, he can.

And now you know why.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I'll admit I picked your brain on that gun disarm! It was very useful, too! While Trevor will be using techniques from a variety of martial-arts styles and sources, krav will show up. A later chapter even mentions he spent time in Tel Aviv, as a nod to this bit of help. (I would have had him hang out at Protection Fitness, but he had to spend some time out of the U.S.)

    ReplyDelete